Free & Reduced



Attention Parents of 15-16 Kindergarten students!

If you wish to apply for Free/Reduced, you will need to come back Mid-July to download our 15-16 Free & Reduced Application. This Application will be available during Summer Online Pre-Registration in July. Thank you!

Filter by Type:

Name ▲   Size Date
pdf File 14-15_Free_and_Reduced_Lunch_Application.pdf
 Download Now! 
1.02 MB 06/30/14

Our Eat Right. Live Right. Campaign offers healthy meals every school day. Visit for meal prices & additional information. 

Income Chart

Household Size




































For each additional

family member add:




~Students in all grades that qualify for reduced price meals will receive breakfast at no charge. Students in preschool through 5th  grade who qualify for reduced meals also receive lunch at no charge.

~Complete ONE Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for ALL students in your household.  Return the completed application to your child’s school cafeteria or to Canon City Schools Nutritional Services Office, 1030 S. 4th St. Canon City, CO  81212. 719-276-5814


Here are answers to questions you may have about applying:

CAN I APPLY ON LINE?  You can currently download and print an application from our website.

    WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY MEAL BENEFITS?  Once you complete and submit your application, please allow up to 10 days for processing.  The application must be processed before benefits can be awarded.  Once your application is processed you will recieve notifivation from our office.  Until then, you are responsible for paying full price for all meals.


 WHO CAN RECEIVE FREE OR REDUCED MEALS? All children in households receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and children in households that participate in the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations are eligible for free meals regardless of  income. Children also receive meal benefits if household income qualifies.


MY APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR. DO I NEED TO COMPLETE A NEW ONE? Yes. Your current benefits will expired September 30, 2014. You must complete a new application prior to this date.


  IF I DON’T QUALIFY NOW, MAY I APPLY AGAIN LATER?  Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size increases, income decreases, or if you start receiving SNAP or FDPIR. 


WHOM SHOULD I INCLUDE AS MEMBERS OF MY HOUSEHOLD?  You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as relatives, or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children who live with you. If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people whom you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.


IF I RECEIVED A LETTER THIS YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS, SHOULD I COMPLETE AN APPLICATION? Please carefully read the letter you received, and follow the instructions. Call 719-276-5814 if you have questions.


  WHAT IF I DISAGREE WITH THE SCHOOLS DECISION ABOUT MY APPLICATION? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Buddy Lambrecht, Director of Business Services, 101 N. 14th St. Canon City, Co 81212 719-276-5706.


CAN FOSTER CHILDREN RECEIVE FREE MEALS? Yes, foster children who are under the legal care of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals. Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income, however an application must be completed.  For a household that has foster and non-foster children, the foster child may be listed on the application as a member of the family, as this may help other children in the household qualify for benefits. If the foster family is not eligible for benefits, the foster child will still receive free meal benefits.


  WILL THE INFORMATION I GIVE BE CHECKED? Yes. Every year we verify a certain percentage of our applications. We may ask for written proof of information you give.


 IS THE SIGNERS SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER REQUIRED?  While the disclosure of the last 4 digits of a social security number is voluntary, the last 4 digits of a social security number or an indication of “none” is required in order for the application to be processed. 


CAN HOMELESS, RUNAWAY, AND MIGRANT CHILDREN RECEIVE FREE MEALS?  Yes.  If you have not received notification that your child (ren) qualify for free meals, complete the meal application and indicate the child’s status:  homeless, runaway, or migrant. Also,  call Kirsten Javernick at 719-276-5717


ADDITIONAL ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE ABOUT APPLYING - Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application. *You or your child (ren) do not have to be a US citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals.  *If your income varies, list the amount that you normally receive. If you normally receive overtime pay, include it. *Ifyou are in the Military and receive an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income unless, your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative. If combat pay is received in addition to basic pay because of deployment combat pay is not counted as income. *To find out how to apply for other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office.  Colorado PEAK is an online service to screen and apply for assistance programs. It can be accessed at

Use of Information Statement: The Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act requires the information on this application. You do not have to give the information, but if you do not, we cannot approve your child for free or reduced price meals.  You must include the last four digits of the social security number of the adult household member who signs the application.  The last four digits of the social security number is not required when you apply on behalf of a foster child or you list a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) case number or other FDPIR identifier for your child or when you indicate that the adult household member signing the application does not have a social security number.  We will use your information to determine if your child is eligible for free or reduced price meals, and for administration and enforcement of the lunch and breakfast programs. We MAY share your eligibility information with education, health, and nutrition programs to help them evaluate, fund, or determine benefits for their programs, auditors for program reviews, and law enforcement officials to help them look into violations of program rules.  Non-discrimination Statement: The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.) If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or e-mail at Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (in Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.