Course Prefix and Number
Creating Web Sites for Classrooms, Departments, Teams and Schools Using SchoolCenter
1 Semester hour
Canon City Schools Recertification Credit
Graduation credit through Adams State College is not available.
Dates / Times
Course Meeting Times: N/A
Participants must attend all four class sessions in order to earn the semester hour of credit.
Take your communication to the next level. Web sites have become increasingly important as communication tools for students, staff, parents and the community. Learn how to effectively use the new district website Content Management System (SchoolCenter) to build a school, department or classroom website. Incorporate modules such as photo galleries, calendars, and other widgets to enhance the appearance and functionanality of your web site. With a simple click of a button, you can easily get your site online and deliver important information to the people who need it most.
· Discover the benefits of a CMS (Content Management System.)
· Learn how to login to the system and navigate using the administration interface.
· Learn how & why to use templates and template theme.
· SOP’s – Overview of the district’s SOP’s concerning copyright, image usage, email addresses, etc.
Reference & Instructional Resources:
Material packet will be provided to students.
Texts, Readings & Instructional
· Create pages and discover your artistic side.
· How to use the WYSIWYG editor, password protect pages, hyperlinking, external and internal file sharing.
· Proper search engine optimization: (page coding, keywords, meta tags for pages and multimedia, how to customize url’s)
· Introduction to the Document/File Manager
· PDF creation – When and how to use it.
· Naming Conventions and file formats. Students will learn why naming conventions and file formats are important when building web sites.
· Image Gallery/Photo Editing tools, Clip art gallery and proper use and restrictions of image use.
· Introduction to Web 2.0 modules Students will learn how to insert and use calendars, blogs, forms, galleries and other modules available.
· Password responsibilities
· School Center’s “ThinqTank” and web support for staff
SchoolCenter Background: Located in Illinois and California, 13 years of experience working with School districts
SchoolCenter is a web-based communication tool specifically designed for the educational community. SchoolCenter hosts the Canon City Schools web sites and uses it’s CMS (Content Management System) interface for users to login to an admin panel and edit the web site using in-line editing and other tools.
- System Support – Staff can email, instant chat or call for support.
- Full Version upgrades annually, point releases quarterly
- Automatic logout after 20 minutes of inactivity
- LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) – If your Windows login password changes, it changes on SchoolCenter too.
- SIF Compliant – Database from Infinite Campus, Alpine, Renlearning can share data with SchoolCenter
- Unlimited disc space,
- Personal Document Storage
- 20,000 royalty free clip art available in the system
- Photo Editing Tools
- Photo Albums, Slideshows
- Profanity filter
- Counters, Forms, Widgets, Web 2.0 tools
- Password Protection for any page
- Site Translator (9 different languages) – uses Babelfish
- Interactive Calendars
MUCH MUCH MORE!