Thank you for your interest in being a volunteer with the Cañon City School District. Volunteers help at all grade levels in many different ways. Reading with a child, helping to coach a sports team, tutoring, being a teacher’s aide, and chaperoning a field trip are some of the common volunteer activities. Under the direction of school personnel, Volunteers are those that work:
- Without pay on an occasional or regular basis
- At school sites or other district facilities.
- In activities that are part of the school program during the school day or as an extension of the school day.
For the safety of our students, an application process and background check is required before a volunteer can work with students.
Process to become a volunteer:
- Submit the online application.
- You will be contacted to have an interview with the Director of Human Resources for Cañon City Schools.
- For the interview, you will need to bring a current driver’s license or photo identification card.
- The Director of Human Resources will review your request to volunteer and determine approval.
- After the interview, a criminal background check will be ordered as part of the approval process. In most cases this will be at no cost to the volunteer applicant.
- Accepted applicants will have identification badges to wear while serving as a volunteer. To assist with security, identification badges shall be worn while serving in the capacity of a volunteer. Pictures for the badges will be taken at the interview. Badges will be sent to the building(s) you are volunteering at.
- Volunteers will also need the approval of the school Principal or administrator of the school or facility where they will be working.