Canon City Middle School (6th-8th Grade)
CMAS Letter from Our Principal
Happy Spring, Falcon Families. The third quarter has just ended, and the fourth quarter has begun. This letter aims to bring you all up to speed on the upcoming CMAS State Assessment Window. This year’s overall assessment window will look like it has pre-covid. All students in grades 6,7,8 will be taking English Language Arts and Math assessments. Each of these assessments has three parts for a total of 6 tests. 8th-grade students will also take a Science assessment on the following Monday and Tuesday with three sections. We ask that parents schedule appointments outside of the initial test dates. Students will be testing on individual devices this year, because of this, we will need to have all student Chromebooks and chargers here at the building on Friday the 1st of April to ensure everything is working.
CCMS will test on April 4th through the 7th for all grades. Only the 8th grade will test for Science the 11th - 12th. Makeups will happen as we test and will run into the week of April 14th
6th-7th-8th grade students will each have one test on Monday the 4th, two on Tuesday the 5th, two on Wednesday the 6th, and one on Thursday the 7th. All three grades will be taking English Language Arts and Math on these days.
8th-grade students will also be taking the Science assessments on Monday the 11th and Tuesday the 12th.
Makeups will be from April 4th to April 29th if needed.
Morning sessions will be 110 minutes long, and afternoon sessions will be 110 minutes long. When students are not testing, they will return to an almost regular schedule for the day.
To reward our students for quality performance, we will be awarding CMAS S.O.A.R. tickets to students who exhibit elements of S.O.A.R. while testing. The letter “S” represents showing success by doing one’s best. “O” is for taking ownership by being present and on time. “A” stands for a positive attitude which is just what it sounds like; staying positive. “R” is giving respect by allowing others to do their best. Students who meet these expectations will be entered into daily drawings to win prizes, including mini-tablets, blue-tooth speakers, iPod Shuffles, goodie bags, etc.
Families are vital partners in students’ success. What can you do as families to prepare your student to S.O.A.R.?
1. Ensure that your student gets quality rest at night. Since our school begins at such an early hour, bedtime should be no later than 9:00 p.m.
2. Make sure that your student eats a healthy breakfast each morning of testing, either at home or school.
3. Ensure that your student is at school and on time each day of testing.
4. Finally, and most importantly, speak greatness into your student. Encourage them to do their best all the time.
These four actions can help your student perform better and be more confident in their abilities.
The CCMS Faculty acknowledges the potential of our students. They have worked hard and deserve recognition by the community and state. Thank you in advance for your support. Please contact me directly regarding this year’s CMAS testing window.
Jesse Oliver, Principal of Canon City Middle School
"Never Stop Learning”
Upcoming High School Registration for 8th Graders is Scheduled
Attention all 8th grade parents: The highschool counselors will be coming to CCMS on Monday, February 14th for a student presentation on Pathways and registering students for their 9th grade classes. Students will bring home their registration sheets for parents to sign that afternoon.
CCMS Parents and Guardians - If you're concerned about what your child is doing on their school Chromebook, GoGuardian Parent is now available to you.
You will have the ability to:
- View the Top 5 summary of student browsing - apps, extensions, documents, and websites visited.
- View the Teacher interventions - showing how often teachers locked screens, blocked sites, and opened and closed browser tabs on their students' classroom devices.
- View the last 30-days of websites, videos, documents, apps, and extensions.
- Block websites on school-issued devices during out-of-school hours.
- Pause internet access on school-issued devices during out-of-school hours, either on-demand or at a scheduled time.
Our district's configuration settings may affect the times at which information is visible.
To get started, go to https://www.goguardian.com/parent-app. Simply use your e-mail address as listed in IC and GoGuardian will send you a code to log in.
Please contact us if you need any help.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.