Substitutes - Licensed and Classified

Substitute employees are a very valuable resource for the Canon City School District.  We have two types of substitutes:  Licensed (Licensed Teachers and Substitutes ) and Classified (Classified Substitutes include Paraprofessionals, Bus Drivers, Food Servers, Custodians, Secretaries, and all other support staff).

LICENSED SUBSTITUTES AND AUTHORIZATIONS: Licensed Substitutes (Teacher Substitutes) must possess a current Professional License or a Substitute Authorization from Colorado Department of Education (CDE). CDE offers one, three, and five year authorizations. An Authorization must be attached to your application for consideration.

To obtain your authorization complete an application on the CDE website  with their online system. Licensed Substitutes cannot be placed in the classroom without a current license or authorization issued by the Colorado Department of Education (CDE). 

Substitutes are required to apply via our online application:  Documents needed to attach to your application, Colorado Substitute Authorization or Teaching License, College Transcripts and reference letters.

Once an application is received, it is reviewed and an interview is scheduled with the Director of Human Resources. The candidate's name is then added to Board of Directors meeting for approval. Once payroll paperwork and a background check (for Classified only) has been completed, the candidate's information is added to the substitute call list(s). Substitutes are also required to have an ID badge, your picture will be taken at the time of your interview.

Substitutes are required to read and comply with the rules in the Substitute Handbook and submit the signed Acknowledgement Page.  This page must be turned in to the HR Clerk/Receptionist and is kept in your file.

Each year, substitutes will be mailed an Intent to Substitute Form. Forms must be returned before the deadline to remain a substitute with Canon City Schools. You must complete and submit a Substitute Handbook Acknowledgment page each year with your Intent to Substitute Form. 

RESIGNING:  If a substitute is unable to fulfill this capacity and needs to resign, this must be done in writing and addressed to Director of Human Resources.